Sunday, April 13, 2014

Observing Palm Sunday When You’re Sad

For a few different reasons I woke up sad today.  Then, the thought of joining the throngs singing “Hosanna,” rejoicing over the King made me even sadder.   All those people yelling, “Save now!  Save now” (that’s what Hosanna means)…. but Jesus was not about to save them in the way they were hoping and expecting.  He was about to die.  The road to salvation had a big valley of suffering to go through first.  Using hindsight, that first Palm Sunday has an extra layer of upside-down-ness.

We made our way to church this morning, and I found myself thankful that Palm Sunday is on a Sunday.  If it was any other day of the week (it wouldn’t be called Palm Sunday, first of all), there would be opportunity for me to wallow in my sadness, to remain isolated from others, to bypass the whole day.  But because it was Sunday we were at church, and even if I didn’t feel like singing, everyone around me did. 

 I wonder if there was anyone on that day long ago that got swept up in the crowds lauding Jesus, even without originally intending to do so?  There is something about hearing others praise, seeing others lift their hands;  it’s a call back to Reality.  It’s not all about me.  It’s not even all about “me and Jesus.”

And then there were the kids.


Every year watching the children parade in with palm branches, I end up in tears.  This year, even with the cheesy paper “branches” and my kids in rumpled clothes and probably mismatched socks, was no exception.  I have wondered before whether this children-waving-palm-branches thing is a modern-church contrivance designed to just make it all so “cute,” but then I read the writings by Egeria, a spunky woman who traveled over 1200 miles back in the 4th century, visiting Biblical sites.  She was the predecessor of the travel blogger, I suppose, because she wrote extensively about the events and spiritual traditions she witnessed.   And, it turns out, children waved palm branches in a procession way back in the 300’s!



I watched my sons waving their branches today, loving their innocent faith and enthusiasm, hailing their King.  And then I thought about a conversation I had with one of them last night about pain.  He is very concerned about pain, worried about the possibilities of future surgeries or injuries.  As I reminded him last night, and myself this morning, pain is always temporary.

Yes, there is a side of sadness to Palm Sunday, because we know suffering comes next.  But the overarching message is hope.  After the suffering came the most glorious day in history.  And after our suffering will come the most glorious existence, beyond what we can imagine.

I am grateful today for those who sang and spoke around me at church—especially the children--  and for those who write truths to remind us all about the power of Palm Sunday.  Like a bystander in the crowd in long ago Jerusalem, I find myself carried along in the joy of the message.

I am also grateful for the plan to celebrate the Christian year.  Once again I am reminded that these days set apart are not about my feelings or my desires, but are intended to show us more about who God is, and who we are in Him.  Today has been a good day for that, for me.

In John Piper’s little book, Love to the Uttermost, he tells us that Palm Sunday is a good day to reflect on Luke 12:32: “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”  As someone wrestling with fear and distrust, I needed to hear this today.  God’s joy is to give us the kingdom.  The kingdom may be “now and not yet” but eventually it will be all the way now and perfect!  

Seeing just the shadow of that today is enough -- and cause for rejoicing.


“Great is our rejoicing, for you have come to us, righteous and victorious, loving and sovereign.  By the riches of your grace, continue to free us from waterless pits, broken cisterns and worthless idols.  By the power of the gospel, enable us to live as prisoners of hope and agents of redemption until the Day you return to finish making all things new.”  -- Scotty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS