Monday, April 14, 2014

BB King and the Crown of Thorns

Welcome to Holy Week!

Maybe like me, the start of Holy Week snuck up. I confess, this 46 day period of Lent felt like it was moving slower than molasses some days. I felt it especially, when I wanted something I had given up and then I'd count to find I had 44 more days to go without. Then I'd ask myself why I decided to do this whole thing anyway. I'd like to say I took every one of those moments of longing, to stop and pray, but that would be less than honest. Sometimes it felt more like a cat fight.

But, here we are. Less than a week away from the biggest celebration in the Christian calendar! We will move through this week with a mix of somber awareness and anticipation. And like Amy mentioned in her last post, hope. That's the best part.

Several years ago, I saw an idea from Ann Voskamp's blog www.aholyexperience.com and we started the practice at our house. We have a wreath and tea stained tooth picks in a bowl beside. During Holy Week, we pay particular attention to our need to confess and each time we do, we stick a toothpick into the wreath. The first year we did this, I was overwhelmed at how quickly this simple wreath turn into a crown of thorns. (I realized that is why the suggestion is to pull this out just for Holy Week and not the whole season of Lent.) This is a tangible reminder that our sin, my sin, nailed Jesus to the cross. As BB King so beautifully sings in the song "When Love Comes to Town" with U2 "I was there when they crucified my Lord, I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword, I threw the dice when they pierced his side, but I've seen love conquer the great divide, when love comes to town..."

This tradition may seem a little morose, but there is a place for that. This week, as we anticipate the celebration to come, it's worth remembering the cost.

Our pastor used this verse in his benediction this morning and it's now on the giant chalkboard in our kitchen for all of us to remember. What a perfect verse for this week. 

Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS